Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The madness has begun!

I cannot tell you how freaking ecstatic I am about this!
So as I was saying yesterday, I am going to attempt to sew. I've only used a sewing machine once & it was under very careful supervision from a friend of mine. I think it's because she's that kind that she wanted to make sure that I was learning ORRRR it could very well be that it was because she didn't want me to break her sewing machine. I think it's a pretty close tie on either one.

This was my creation at that time back in August: a car seat cover/canopy!



close up
It's definitely legit since it's baby approved!

Ok, that day was seriously, such a superb day! I have never felt more accomplished. I mean, maybe I have but, to see a piece of fabric be transformed into such a useful (& if I may add, beautiful) thing...it's AMAZING!

Nope, I didn't come up with that grandiose idea by myself. My friend found it here.


Well... that was then & this is now. I had some leftover fabric from that project. At the time, I didn't want to throw it away since it was just so pretty. I didn't know what I would do with it but, I figured that something would come up.

Which leads me to a site that has the potential of becoming incredibly addictive! PINTEREST! It's seriously, so awesome! Please, please go there & find out for yourself.

Ok, so as soon as I saw this, I knew that I would use the extra fabric I had to make one for myself.
Well...using my own sewing machine definitely did not go as smooth as when I went over to my friend's house but nonetheless here begins my 1st adventure into what I know will be an awesome year!
Last night when I finally took out the sewing machine from its box, I was way too excited to begin. So here is the little practice run.
Yet, the machine wasn't running as smoothly as I'd like & it kept messing up. I kinda gave up on that & put it aside. I mean, I was happy. I was able to iron & cut all the fabric in preparation to my project, so at least the night had not been a complete failure.
Today, I tried giving it another try. I checked & realized that the bobbin (is that what that is called, ugh I don't even know the right names!) was soooo not pretty. I tried it again. Hmm...left is last night & the right one is my 2nd attempt done today. I'd say that is a HUGE improvement. Yay me for figuring it out. Lesson learned: keep a steady rhythm on the pedal & don't stop & go all the time. Otherwise, your bobbin will look like the one on the left.


So, I got to the part where I sew the ribbon. I decided I was going to use this shiny one that I had bought last year for another project. As I have told you, I really don't know what I'm doing. So, I didn't realize that the sewing machine has these tiny jagged thingies & I'm assuming they're there to help feed the material thru. Anyhoo, they messed up my pretty ribbon. :(

So, I changed it & made a ribbon sized thingy with the material I had used for the inside of the keychain. Great idea, until something messed up. (FYI: I blame the machine often but I know that it probably messes up because I have no idea what I'm doing.)

Here is the final product! Yay! It only took me two nights to do. No, it's not difficult. In all sincerity, it's incredibly easy. Although, I have two excuses. 1.) It's my 1st sewing machine & I'm literally reading the manual trying to figure it out. 2.) I have a tiny baby that refuses to sleep so this project kept being interrupted by him.

I'm seriously, super duper excited about this! I can't wait to see what I decide to sew next! 


Oh, I nearly forgot! My goal is to sew something once a month & to try to cook something new once a month. I figured, I'd share what I baked on the night of January 5th with all of you (whoever "you" may be :))
I made a Rosca de Reyes following this recipe. It didn't turn out horrible but either I didn't follow the recipe for the bread right or this bread is completely different than what I'm used to. I'd say it's probably a little bit of both. 



I had to substitute all the decorations on the outside of the Rosca since I couldn't find them in the town that I live in. Although, that is really not as noticeable as the minor substitution that I made on the inside. Heehee, yuppers, that's a little alien from Toy Story. I looked at the store for a tiny baby Jesus but could find none. So what could I do? I did the next best thing. I went into my son's room & looked for a small toy that could be hidden inside the bread. I'm so creative sometimes, I just crack me up!


I'm seriously done writing this time. Yay for it being only the 11th of the month & I've already completed my goals for this month. Now to start planning my adventure for next month! Can't hardly wait!!!





3 comments:

  1. Way to fellow crafter! I need to be brave and tackle sewing too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It was actually a bit terrifying as I looked at my sewing machine & tried to read the directions. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wahoo! Way to go Juliet! The key fob looks awesome! I made one too and love it because I never lose my keys in my purse anymore.

    ReplyDelete